Connect with Us

instagram

Letter to the Editor: Kulich and Craig deserve to stay at Emmanuel

I have heard about Professor Kulich and Professor Craig being either denied tenure or not invited back for next year. I have only had Professor Kulich, but she truly transformed the way I approach my academics. She pushes her students. Her students read far more than they would like, write far more than they would like, and her students learn far more than they would otherwise. The time and passion she has dedicated to this school cannot be emphasized enough. Her experience, drive, and passion make her a powerful female role model for the entirety of the Emmanuel community. Should she leave, Emmanuel has lost an invaluable asset.

However, this is bigger than Kulich or Craig. I personally have heard about a philosophy professor being pressured by the administration. Last semester a Organic Chemistry professor was encouraged to leave halfway through the semester. Halfway through the semester. That is a class who switched teaching styles in one of the most difficult classes offered. A couple years ago, students protested over a professor who was being pushed out.

There is a trend in how our administration handles the dismissal of professors. Despite the protests a couple years ago, our administration has not changed how they interact with their professors when considering dismissing a faculty member. This behavior, these policies are unacceptable to me. I do not see any of these dismissals as legitimate.

The Emmanuel administration must change the way they go about dismissing professors. Student voice is too important to neglect. We are the ones who suffer when such meaningful professors can no longer teach.

Emmanuel, you need to start listening. You need to hear what we are saying. We want to have a real say in the dismissal process. If a professor is being considered for tenure or contract renewal, we want students from the same department on a panel. We want that panel to be the body that decides whether or not the professor stays or goes.

And yes, we want Professor Kulich and Professor Craig to return to Emmanuel next year.

-Anonymous

**UPDATE 2:01 PM: All op-eds may be sent to ecthehub@gmail.com. Anonymity will be respected upon request.

Posted by on March 25, 2014. Filed under Around Campus,Faculty,Letters to the Editor,Opinions & Editorials. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

21 Responses to Letter to the Editor: Kulich and Craig deserve to stay at Emmanuel

1. abcdefg

March 25, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Let’s not forget Mark Baard, the ONLY journalism professor left on campus who left over winter break for reasons never made clear.

• Chris

March 25, 2014 at 7:50 pm

I was in his journalism class last semester and I was the one to tell HIM he wasn’t listed as a professor on the next semester classes. Its horrible. Too great of a guy.

2. Danielle L.

March 25, 2014 at 12:18 pm

There a serious lack of administrative transparency at Emmanuel College. Frightening, actually. As an alum, it’s really sad to see the direction of the college.

3. Janelle

March 25, 2014 at 12:51 pm

I agree with this. Along with the fact that Emmanuel doesn’t allow students to asks questions about WHY a professor has left. Last semester when the organic chemistry teacher appeared to be pressured to leave midway through the semester I was a part of that class. After the event I went to the department chair and my academic adviser simply asking WHY they wouldn’t be returning. The response I got were basically that it was none of my business. As a student I am appaled. My teacher no longer being able to return is completely my business. If we pay to go here we should be allowed the courtesy of being treated respectfully and allowed access to information going on in our school.
    That being said, I don’t have either of the teachers this is discussing but have been interested by what’s going on. I heard that one of the teachers in question was denined tenure, however it seemed that students jumped to conclusions that this meant the teacher would be let go after this year. Unless I’m missing something (which I could be) just because he didn’t get tenure this year doesn’t mean he will be fired.

• The Hub Online

March 25, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Being denied tenure has traditionally been a sign to many professors that it is time to move on as the institution does not see a future for you there.

• Janelle

March 25, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Craig is currently scheduled as a teacher for next semester.. People can look at the registration for classes . The English department is not completely organized right now and therefore approving tenure isn’t really their highest priority. I doubt it was because they don’t see a future for him, it was just tha it wasn’t the right time this year.
        I’m not trying to downplay the need for transparency at Emmanuel but we need to get all the facts on the table before too much negative propaganda is around.

• Sarah G

March 25, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Being denied tenure at Emmanuel College traditionally means you are teaching something they don’t agree with and encouraging your students to think freely.

4. reicheltim

March 25, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I agree, being a senior I’ve seen how fast the school has changed over 4 years. If Kulich does not come back next year that would be a massive loss for the Political Science department. I may be a little bias, but she has pushed me to be the best student I could be.

• Devin Riddle

March 25, 2014 at 2:50 pm

I agree with this 100%. Having had Kulich twice, I can say that she is amazing inside and outside of the classroom. Whenever I approached her with a question, she always answered it and assisted me in any way possible. I’m definitely biased, but I can’t imagine anyone suggesting that she, of all professors, does not seem to have a future here. She’s tough, but sometimes things are too easy now-a-days.

5. An Active Student

March 25, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Isn’t this behavior typical of good old Emmanuel College? This place is either a reach school for kids that should not be in college or the net for students that were denied their top choices. From my experience here I have discovered this place to be of rumor, drama, and bullshit – I’ve seen it on a multitude of levels from professors, students, cafe workers, and athletic teams to name a few. This education is a high-priced mediocre level college that masks its personality with yellow and blue balloons and a pretty plot of over-watered grass. What I am getting at, is this institution goes about many things in the wrong way – as do many other colleges or universities – it is a natural occurrence. The enormous advantage we have as a small student body/faculty is that we could shape this school to be a better place as the Anonymous author suggests. I agree. Start with small and realistic goals then build from there. If you truly care about these professors take the terrifying step of putting a name to your writing, start a campaign and get signatures/testimonies. Venting on the anonymous internet (is this catalog printed? I’ve never seen it around campus) will not accomplish the goals you have valiantly brought to light.

So it goes.

6. Sarah G

March 25, 2014 at 1:46 pm

It is a travesty that Emmanuel College has gone the way of a lot of Catholic institutions. Do something wrong, cover it up. I would hope a place for education would be different, but it is clear Emmanuel College does not value free thinking, diversity of education, or anything that goes against the administration. Losing Christopher Craig will be a major blow to the future of the English department and the college as a whole.

7. Polisci Student

March 25, 2014 at 1:50 pm

We should all contribute to the Hub in this way- we need to start an awareness campaign by writing op-eds, posting on Facebook/Twitter, and discussing it with all Emmanuel students and alumni. I’m so dishearted that Prof. Kulich is leaving, and other students should be aware of the lack of voice that we have at Emmanuel in terms of keeping the best professors.

8. Kitkatjam

March 25, 2014 at 1:52 pm

I hope administration reads this. What about Tim Evans too from the performing arts department!!?!? The arts are already getting pushed aside as it is but to lose a great asset that he was was absolutely heartbreaking. It came as a shock to me that he was gone when I had worked with him since my freshman year. Being a science major and a music minor, it’s a shame to see such good professors go. The shitty ones who don’t teach well and don’t follow what is the idea of the class, like a class I took last semester, should leave, not the ones who actually are helpful and teach well. I had an Orgo professor last Spring, Dr. Lin, who was awesome! I took Orgo 2 over the summer because I didn’t want to take it in the fall with someone other than her. It’s a shame that ainustration doesn’t include student input. They should really look at the course evaluations articulately the professor and seteime from there if they are good or bad. But students who are passionate about their subjects and the professors that have shaped them to become better students, should be involved in the decision process of good professors leaving. Administration needs to get their act together on many aspects.

9. rachael tani

March 25, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Way to be Emmanuel you can’t figure out which teachers are actually decent at their job even when they are standing right in front of you. Just because “the institution” thinks that a teacher has no future at Emmanuel does not mean that is at all the reality of the situation. The students are the people who know best whether a teacher is doing their job well or not.

I had professor Craig only one semester, since I am not an English major, but I am seriously disappointed and sad to hear that Emmanuel doesn’t think he should stay or get tenure because he definitely deserves his job and tenure. Having taken short fiction with him, I think he knows how to properly lead a classroom and how to get people excited about learning. If that isn’t enough for Emmanuel’s administration their opinion of him is invalid.

10. Marie

March 25, 2014 at 7:17 pm

I had the pleasure of being taught by both Professor Kulich and Professor Craig. Both professors were challenging, engaging, and inspiring.

Professor Kulich was tough – but in the best way possible. I looked up to her. She was direct, insanely intelligent, and dedicated. Really, an ideal role model for young women.

I remember Professor Craig as passionate, kind, and thought-provoking.

They raised the bar on expectations for me – they demanded more and I worked hard to rise to the occasion. I now aim to do the same thing for my inner-city middle schoolers.

Emmanuel is lucky to have two very talented, and dedicated professors.

It’s a shame that petty internal politics and a misguided administration seem to be ruining an institution that I used to hold dear to my heart… because of professors like Kulich and Craig.

11. Daniel Lee

March 25, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Just for the record: Being denied tenure means you are fired. They are the same thing. You have a year to teach (at the place that fired you), so that the institution that fired you has time to find your replacement (they say it’s so YOU can find another job). Just because these people are in the catalog doesn’t mean Emmanuel is keeping them. They are fired.

12. Kay

March 26, 2014 at 9:28 pm

Emmanuel just got dumber as a whole for denying Kulich tenure. She is an excellent role model and one of the sharpest, most intelligent people I have ever come across #ashamedofemmanuel

13. M

March 26, 2014 at 11:34 pm

I’m not an English or Political Science major, but I feel oddly comforted that I’m not the only one who isn’t jumping around with enthusiasm about their experience here. I and many others have been lied to, pushed around, and manipulated for the entirety of our college careers and quite frankly treated like total shit. It seems like these teachers really deserve a position here and I wonder why they will not be invited back. Hopefully the resistance will be enough for something to be done. The school is getting more expensive and moving toward ivy league status, but they are getting ahead of themselves because they’re not prepared for it if their internal departments are screwing everyone over. Like someone else on here said, it’s just a mask. Sometimes I think I wasted $160,000

• Micha Maalouf

March 27, 2014 at 7:48 am

EC is NOT moving towards ivy league status, it has a whole lot to catch up with before that can even debut. The issue with a lot of these hush-ups must have to do with the developing desire to become a top ranking science school, given it’s location and partnerships with the institutions in the Longwood Medical area. It’s a shame, this whole situation. Reeves was amazing, Kulich is one of the most intelligent and dedicated professors I’ve ever had, and Craig opened my eyes to theory and how to apply it to real world situations. The Polisci and Comm departments were already not that great, losing these people will make the departments low quality. WHY NOT, there’s always Science!

14. maggieinbrighton

March 27, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Cristina Kulich-Vamvakas was one of the best professors — teachers — I ever had. Period.

15. maggieinbrighton

March 27, 2014 at 9:48 pm

(Although… after reading an earlier comment… I would add that I had a fantastic experience at EC and didn’t feel adversely affected by anything like this personally from ’05 – ’08. I don’t regret my decision to enroll there nor accepting a generous scholarship. Things must really be changing.)