In Illinois, you may be able to get up to 6x the payment if you used the TikTok app to make videos and you live there.
A group of people filed a class-action lawsuit against the defendants. They said that TikTok, Inc. f/k/a Musical.ly Inc., ByteDance, Inc., Musical.ly n/k/a TikTok, Ltd., and Beijing ByteDance Technology Co. Ltd., violated federal and state law by collecting, using, and sharing Plaintiffs’ personal data without giving them enough notice and consent.
- Defendants say they don’t believe these claims and other important claims in the operative complaint.
- “Settlement Class”: This group of people is affected by the settlement that was reached in this case.
- All people who live in the United States who used the App before September 30, 2021, are in this class.
- Illinois Subclass: People who live in Illinois and used the App in Illinois to make videos before September 30, 2021, are in this class.
- There is a $92,000,000 settlement if it is approved. If it is, it will pay the members of the Settlement Class who have valid claims. It will also cover the Plaintiffs’ attorneys’ fees and costs, a service award for the plaintiffs, and the administrative costs of the settlement. It would also give injunctive relief to protect the information of people who use apps. The settlement stops the lawsuits from going forward. It pays money to people who say their rights were violated, and it frees the defendants from any more responsibility.
- You can make a claim for yourself or for your child, who is under 18.
- It doesn’t matter if you act or not. The notice is very important.
- If you want to know about your rights and options, and when you have to use them, read the Notice.
- In this case, the judge who is in charge of the case still has to decide whether to accept the settlement. After any appeals are settled, benefits will be given to those who have qualified Claim Forms. If it does, benefits will be given to those who qualify. Please wait for me.
|YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS AND OPTIONS IN THIS SETTLEMENT|
SUBMIT A CLAIM FORM
|If you are a member of the Settlement Class, you must submit a completed Claim Form to receive a payment. If the Court approves the Settlement and it becomes final and effective, and you remain in the Settlement Class, you will receive your payment by electronic means (unless you opt for an alternative form of payment). Deadline: March 1, 2022|
|You may request to be excluded from the Settlement and, if you do, you will receive no benefits from the Settlement.
Deadline: January 31, 2022
|Write to the Court if you do not like the Settlement.
Deadline: January 31, 2022
Deadline for responses to Plaintiffs’ Motion for Final Approval and Motion for Attorneys’ Fees: April 14, 2022
GO TO A HEARING
|Ask to speak in Court about the fairness of the Settlement.|
|You will not receive a payment if you fail to timely submit a completed Claim Form, and you will give up your right to bring your own lawsuit against Defendants about the claims in this case.|
A note: If you don’t qualify for this settlement, don’t try to get it.
Remember that you are submitting your claim under the threat of perjury. You are also hurting other people who are eligible for benefits by making a false claim. Please check out the FAQ section of the Settlement Administrator’s website to see if you meet all of the rules (Top Class Actions is not a Settlement Administrator). In the event that you don’t qualify for this settlement, check out our database of open class action settlements that you might be able to get a piece of.
TikTok Data Privacy $92M Class Action Settlement https://t.co/76GxpVgfZc
— Cotsdi (@cotsdi) November 16, 2021
- Claim Form Deadline
- Case Name
In Re: TikTok Inc., Consumer Privacy Litigation, MDL No. 2948, 20-cv-4699, in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Final Hearing
- Settlement Website
- Claims Administrator
Musical.ly and/or TikTok Class Action
1650 Arch Street, Suite 2210
Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Class Counsel
CARLSON LYNCH LLP
Elizabeth A. Fegan
FEGAN SCOTT LLC
- Ewan Show
BIRD, MARELLA, BOXER, WOLPERT, NESSIM, DROOKS, LINCENBERG & RHOW PC
- Defense Counsel
Anthony J. Weibel
WILSON SONSINI GOODRICH & ROSATI PC