At the time of the 1986 release of the original Top Gun film, Tom Cruise was 24 years old. On July 3, 1962, he was born in Syracuse, New York.
The action film Top Gun was inspired by an essay titled “Top Guns” written by Ehud Yonay and appearing in the May 1983 issue of California magazine. LT Pete “Maverick” Mitchell, an American Navy pilot, was played by Tom Cruise. The character was loosely inspired on Duke Cunningham’s accomplishments during the Vietnam War.
MUST BE READ: The Real Story Behind Anna on Netflix!
What Age Was Tom Cruise in Top Gun and What Age Is He Now?
Tony Scott was the director of the original Top Gun, which was released in 1986. Lieutenant Pete “Maverick” Mitchell, a talented US Navy aviator played by Tom Cruise, was assigned to TOPGUN, the Naval Fighter Weapons School, in the movie.
- Alongside him were Lieutenant Tom “Iceman” Kazansky, played by Val Kilmer, who was his nemesis, and Lieutenant Nick “Goose” Bradshaw, played by Anthony Edwards, who passed away midway through the movie.
- Given that he was born in 1962 and was just 24 years old when Top Gun was released, Tom Cruise played a youthful man in the movie. In Joseph Kosinski’s Top Gun: Maverick, Maverick, who is now a captain, continues his journey as he is chosen to train a fresh crew of pilots for a perilous mission. Bradley “Rooster” Bradshaw, the son of Goose, Maverick’s best buddy who passed away in the first movie, is one of these accomplished pilots.
- Given that Top Gun: Maverick is soon to be released in theaters, Tom Cruise’s age in the movie is particularly intriguing.
- The actor is presently 59 years old. However, the movie was initially scheduled for release in 2019, but it was postponed for a number of reasons, including the COVID-19 pandemic. Cruise would have been 57 years old if the movie had been released on the original planned date.
- It only goes to show that, despite his advanced age, Tom Cruise still has a “desire for speed,” which is something that everyone in the audience should respect. If Cruise makes it through this movie, there’s a chance we’ll see another Top Gun movie—though perhaps not with the same 35-year gap since Cruise would be 94 by then.
- On May 27, 2022, Tom Cruise will be flying in a dangerous environment in the motion picture Top Gun: Maverick.