John Wick is an American action-thriller franchise made by Derek Kolstad. It is about a former hitman named John Wick who is forced back into the criminal underworld he had left.
The first movie in the series, John Wick, came out in 2014. Then, John Wick: Chapter 2 came out in 2017 and John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum came out in 2019. The three movies were praised by critics and did well at the box office. In total, they made more than $587 million around the world. John Wick: Chapter 4 is the fourth installment, and it will come out on March 24, 2023.
Two spin-offs are being made for a 2023 release: the limited series The Continental and the film Ballerina. A fifth main installment is also being made, which was originally meant to be shot right after the fourth film.
READ MORE:Dreaming of Someone Dying Who Is Still Alive? What Does it Mean?
Is John Wick a Real Story?
No, “John Wick” is not based on a real event. Mixing fantasy, myth, and reality, screenwriter Derek Kolstad made the unlikely action hero. Kolstad first worked on a script called “Scorn” about a retired gun-for-hire who comes out of hibernation to get revenge.
He was influenced by the style of film noir, including its theme of revenge and tragic antihero. Alistair MacLean and Stephen King’s books helped the writer build a world.
- At first, Kolstad wanted someone in their mid-60s to play the role of John Wick because of his long history. But the producers didn’t think that was important, so they started looking for a well-known actor with a lot of experience, and Keanu Reeves became their top choice.
- The creative team decided to change the title to “John Wick” only because Reeves insisted on it. He was very invested in the project. After 2017 comic, a 2020 graphic novel, five planned movies, a spin-off TV show, and three video games, the “John Wick” franchise has grown into an empire.
- Also, the movie is a tribute to the movies of acclaimed director John Woo, whose work the directors really like. In an interview, Stahelski and Leich said that they were heavily influenced by movies like “The Killer” and “Point Blank,” as well as Jean-Pierre Melville’s “Le Cercle Rouge” and “Le Samoura.” They also looked at the work of Akira Kurosawa, Quentin Tarantino, Sergio Leone, and Steve McQueen when making the realistic stunts from anime and martial arts movies.
- Park Chan-“The wook’s Vengeance Trilogy” and Lee Jeong-“The beom’s Man from Nowhere” also influenced the graphic nature of the film. Surprisingly, ‘John Wick’ looks a lot like something that happened to former Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell. The veteran soldier wrote “Lone Survivor,” a book about what happened to his fire team in Afghanistan in 2005. When he got out of the military, Luttrell moved to Texas and got a yellow labrador puppy he named DASY after the initials of his fallen teammates in Afghanistan.
- On April 1, 2009, some men broke into Luttrell’s Texas home and killed DASY. He didn’t waste any time getting a 9mm pistol and chasing the men in his truck. Later, the police caught the people who did it, and they were later sentenced for animal cruelty. Luttrell later said that he didn’t kill the vandals because he had killed enough people already. In contrast to him, the fictional John Wick gets bloodier as the movie goes on, with 84 deaths.
- So, even though the premise seems to be based on the Navy SEAL’s experience, the film is mostly made up. In short, “John Wick” is a mix of the directors’ and writer’s personal favorite movies. It combines fantasy with real-world details to create a believable story of revenge and redemption with a violent twist.
READ MORE:How Did ‘Walk On By’ Singer Dionne Warwick Has Built An Iconic Career?
What Happens in The Film John Wick?
Movie Details & Credits. Summary: A former partner who wants to take control of a shadowy international assassins’ guild forces the legendary hitman John Wick to come out of retirement.
John goes to Rome to help him because he made a blood oath to do so. There, he faces some of the world’s most dangerous killers.
Who Are John Wick’s Main Characters?
The trailer shows Keanu Reeves, who played Neo in all three Matrix movies, and Laurence Fishburne, who played Morpheus, talking to each other. In the upcoming movie, Keanu will play John Wick again, and Laurence will play The Bowler King.