Johnny Lewis isn’t a name that many people will recognize, but many Millennials will remember his face.
He was best known for his roles in Sons of Anarchy, Raise Your Voice, starring Hilary Duff, and The O.C.
Lewis even dated Katy Perry from 2005 to 2006. Perry’s hit song “The One That Got Away” is rumored to be about their relationship.
Page Six quotes a representative from her team as saying to US Weekly: “She had to leave him if she wanted to get ahead and focus on her career. He was in trouble at the time, and she couldn’t help him. Many of her songs were partly influenced by him. She would never be able to help him, and she couldn’t let herself go in that direction.”
How Did the Actor Johnny Lewis from Sons of Anarchy Die?
On September 26, 2012, the body of Johnny Lewis, who was best known for his roles in Sons of Anarchy and The O.C., was found in the driveway of a Los Feliz B&B called the Writers’ Villa. Catherine “Cathy” Davis, who lived in the building and was also the landlord, was found dead with blunt force injuries. Her dead body was found in the house.
- Reports say that Lewis, who was 28 years old, and Davis, who was 81, were found dead after people saw the actor attack their next-door neighbor and called the police. When the police arrived, it looked like the upper floors of the building had been broken into, and they found the body of a badly beaten cat.
- Sources said that Lewis had just gotten out of jail a few days before what happened. Before, the actor had pleaded “no contest” twice, on August 8 and August 17, to charges of assault with a deadly weapon and burglary.
- Johnny Lewis got a year in jail for the first charge and 291 days for the second charge. But on September 21, 2012, he was finally let out of a prison in San Fernando Valley.
- Five days later, when the police answered a 911 call, they found two dead bodies. Before he died, Lewis also got into a fight with two men. But it wasn’t clear if the fight happened before or after he killed the landlady brutally.
- The authorities said that Lewis had fallen off a wall or balcony and died. The case was over when they were sure that Lewis killed Davis.
Authorities First Thought that Johnny Lewis Was High on Drugs when He Killed
Johnny Lewis had a history of drug-related arrests before the violent crime, so the police wanted to know if he was on drugs or medication when he allegedly killed Catherine Davis at her home. His lawyer also said that he might have been crazy from drugs when he killed Davis.
However, toxicology tests showed that the actor had no signs of cocaine, alcohol, marijuana, or any other drug in his system. An autopsy report also showed that he had been partially strangled and had nail marks on both sides of his neck. His death was ruled an accident since there was no proof that he tried to kill himself or was pushed.
Why Did Johnny Lewis Quit Sons of Anarchy?
Johnny Lewis, like the character he played, had to fight his own inner demons. In 2009, Kurt Sutter told Alan Sepinwall that “Johnny didn’t like being on the show. Creatively, he really wanted to get out of his contract.” In 2012, E! Online reported that Lewis had been found dead after attacking several people and killing his landlady.
After Lewis got head injuries in a high-speed motorcycle accident in 2011, Los Angeles Magazine wrote about his history of mental health problems. The report says that Lewis turned down multiple MRIs for his head injury and any kind of psychiatric care. His behavior changed, and from 2011 to 2012, he was arrested three times. The Associated Press said that Lewis got out of a Los Angeles County jail just five days before he died.
Shakespeare’s tragedies were the inspiration for Sons of Anarchy, but Lewis’ situation was a real-life tragedy. Sutter said it on Twitter “A very talented guy who had lost his way died in a sad way. I feel terrible that he had to hurt a life that wasn’t his fault.”