iOS 16 has some excellent news if you’ve ever found yourself needing to install programs like Photoshop in order to remove backgrounds from pictures. You can quickly and simply erase the background from photos on your iPhone with iOS 16.
You can now quickly turn any image—a self-portrait or one of your dog—into a translucent backdrop image so you can use it as a sticker, among other things. Thus, this is how to use iOS 16 to erase the background from iPhone images.
Remove Background from Photos on iPhone
There are several methods available to you for removing the background from your iPhone photos. You can choose the approach that best fits your needs from the ones we cover. As always, you can skip to any interesting section by using the table of contents below.
iPhone Models That Support iOS 16’s Background Removal Feature
Here’s what Apple says if you’re wondering if your iPhone can use the new background removal feature. The tool makes use of “advanced machine learning and image analysis functionality,” according to the business.
Essentially, the capability is limited to iPhones with A12 Bionic processors or higher, according to Apple. The following iPhone models are all capable of using the background removal feature:
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone SE 2nd-generation and 3rd-generation
Isolate Subjects from Background on iPhone
To quickly separate subjects from the backdrop, there are four methods. It’s important to note that any photograph with a distinct subject can use this backdrop removal tool. Thus, you can apply this method to separate an object, a person, or a pet from images.
Method 1: Using the Photos App, Remove the Background from the Images
You most likely browse your photographs most often on the photographs app. And you can now do it right here if you wish to take out an image’s background.
- Open the picture whose background you wish to erase in the Photos app. I am using an image of myself for this example. Now, as seen in the GIF below, push and hold on to the topic until a white glow surrounds the image.
- The topic can now be dragged to remove it from the background and place it almost anywhere you choose. For example, in iMessage (or WhatsApp, really).
- Alternatively, you can release your hold on the image after the white glow appears, at which point a pop-up menu containing the following choices will appear:
- Take A Copy
- The image can be copied without the background by using the “Copy” function, and it can then be pasted wherever you choose. Alternatively, you can hit “Share” and send the “sticker” straight away.
Method 2: Remove Background from Web Images (Safari Only)
On the other hand, you may use Safari directly to make a sticker out of an online image or to take the background off of an image from the web. It is not necessary to download the picture and follow the previously suggested Photos app approach. Here’s how to use Safari in iOS 16 to remove backgrounds from photographs on the internet.
- Use Safari to locate the picture whose backdrop you wish to erase. Now, if you long-press the image, a pop-up menu will appear.
- To copy the subject to your clipboard and remove the backdrop, touch on “Copy Subject” here. The copied image (without the background) is now ready to be pasted wherever you like.
Method 3: Remove Background from Images using the Files App
On your iPhone, you may also get rid of the backdrop from pictures saved in the Files app without exporting them to the Photos app.
- Navigate to the photograph from which you wish to remove the backdrop by opening the Files app.
- In the Files app, long touch the image thumbnail and select “Quick Actions.” Select “Remove Background” now.
- That’s it; the Files app will eliminate the image’s backdrop and
The Apple Files app also offers a simple method for removing subjects from pictures.
- On your iPhone, open the Files app, and then select an image.
- At this point, long-press the image to select Quick Actions. Next, select Remove Background from the contextual menu by tapping it.
The Files app will immediately save the photograph in its original location and remove the background.
Note: Although the Files app does not support the capability, the ‘Remove Background’ option appears on our iPhone X as well. Having said that, it appears Apple might have included support for the “Remove Background” function in the iPhone X.
Which Apps Allow the Background Removal Tool in iOS 16?
The Visual Lookup function introduced with iOS 15 was expanded upon with iOS 16, and nearly all system apps have close integration with the background removal capability. The following apps are a few that we’ve tested and where the feature functions flawlessly:
How to Remove Background from Images on Unsupported iPhone Models?
If you own an older iPhone, you will need to turn to third-party choices in order to obtain comparable functionality, as Apple is preventing a large number of iPhones from receiving the new “remove background” feature with iOS 16.
The website was removed. bg is the one we would suggest using to remove backgrounds from photographs (visit). You can upload an image to this entirely online application, or you can take one using the iPhone’s camera. After that, you can download the image without the backdrop as the website will remove it for you.